Well, its been a bit of a while, but I think I have this one finally fixed.
The problem has been that when I moved to using SSL (ie., encrypting all traffic to and from the site) although I changed the WordPress configuration file (wp-config.php) to the new address (https://veltman.org), the underlying entry in the mySQL database still pointed to the original site (http://veltman.org).
To fix it, I had to change the following table entries:
In the table wp_options:
Both needed modification as they were still pointing at the original http://veltman.org address. This was enough to confuse WordPress at the time of login
Its strange. Lots of difficult times at the moment. A good friend in hospital. Another good friend whose father has died over in Sydney. It reminds me of how fragile and special life is. And how fleeting it can be.
I’m thinking of these people now. Wishing them well.