This weekend has been a tough one, but hopefully now the network (and therefore this blog site amongst other things) should run more smoothly. I’ve been having worsening failures with the Linksys Velop mesh system. Rather than trying to fix that, I’ve gone and bought a dedicated ubiquity router and put that into the network as the main router.
This means that the server now connects directly to the internet via the router, and isn’t dependent on the Linksys devices at all. If they fail, only the wifi around the house will go down.
More importantly, it lets me put the Linksys Velop devices into bridge mode. Interestingly, only two of the five Linksys devices can do that – the ones I got more recently from the UK amazon sale. The ones that have UK plugs. But even with two of them the coverage around the house seems ok. I would note that the device that failed constantly as the parent node was not one of these two, so maybe that will improve things.
Also, I’ve been able to move the wifi out of the server space (and therefore the heat) so they might well do better in the rooms at room temperature.
We will see…
Well, its been a bit of an adventure, but I think I have most of the upstairs set up with smart lighting. Probably need another six lights for the kitchen to finish it off, but mostly there now which is good.
And its very pretty…
Best article I’ve seen in a while. Explains what the raw and pro raw format are all about.
I think I’ve discovered quite a bit about how phone cameras work in general and obviously about iPhones in specific.
That was a fairly painless upgrade to the server. Now running on the 20.04 LTS. Seems to be working as expected. Which is kind of the point really.
So I’ll probably upgrade a few more of the virtual machines soon to get them to the latest LTS. Although I think I have till 2023 to have to do this…
Well, its been a bit of a while, but I think I have this one finally fixed.
The problem has been that when I moved to using SSL (ie., encrypting all traffic to and from the site) although I changed the WordPress configuration file (wp-config.php) to the new address (https://veltman.org), the underlying entry in the mySQL database still pointed to the original site (http://veltman.org).
To fix it, I had to change the following table entries:
In the table wp_options:
Both needed modification as they were still pointing at the original http://veltman.org address. This was enough to confuse WordPress at the time of login
Still having the cookie issues. Obviously I can log in, but it still seems to take a couple of goes. Oh well. Otherwise site working ok
Rendering Phillips funeral video on FCP. Wow that is processor intensive.
Hopefully I can put something online soon to stream out. But its a slow process.
At least I am able to do it now. Next step is to document things for the coronial investigation.
There looks like there are a lot of causes of this problem. My solution seems to be to turn off forcing.
Will have to see if this works.
Discovered that optimising storage is not a good thing for the server. Basically fills my SSD up for no good reason.
Recovered over 100GB of space by turning this off. Its not like I even keep anything useful on this account in terms of photos, etc.
Took a bit of time, but finally got this working with some updates via shell.
Now I’m getting posts from days injury free – have to work out where they came from! They have been queued for about 8 months somewhere.