Reconfiguring the network

This weekend has been a tough one, but hopefully now the network (and therefore this blog site amongst other things) should run more smoothly. I’ve been having worsening failures with the Linksys Velop mesh system. Rather than trying to fix that, I’ve gone and bought a dedicated ubiquity router and put that into the network as the main router.

This means that the server now connects directly to the internet via the router, and isn’t dependent on the Linksys devices at all. If they fail, only the wifi around the house will go down.

More importantly, it lets me put the Linksys Velop devices into bridge mode. Interestingly, only two of the five Linksys devices can do that – the ones I got more recently from the UK amazon sale. The ones that have UK plugs. But even with two of them the coverage around the house seems ok. I would note that the device that failed constantly as the parent node was not one of these two, so maybe that will improve things.

Also, I’ve been able to move the wifi out of the server space (and therefore the heat) so they might well do better in the rooms at room temperature.

We will see…

Broken Bike

Fortunately just the bike this time. Chain link failed, and took out the derailleur. Finished my ride somewhat unexpectedly in Subiaco.
At least I got a good ride in. 46 Km.
So, expensive repair, or just bite the bullet on a new bike. I guess you can figure which way I’m going here…

Actually getting a (modified) gravel bike. With smaller tyres. It’s still a great ride, and has all the things I want. Carbon frame, disc brakes. Also has lug holes for a rack should the need arise

Hopefully will last me a long time…